Sensory-Friendly Programming at Playhouse Square
Playhouse Square is proud to commit to arts education, providing a variety of free and low-cost programs dedicated to inspiring and invigorating people of all ages, perspectives and abilities. Our sensory-friendly initiative is dedicated to increasing access and inclusion for children and families affected by autism spectrum disorders and other sensory, social and cognitive challenges. Some of our resident companies also present sensory-friendly programming.
About Sensory-Friendly Programming
Why might a trip to the theater be difficult for individuals on the autism spectrum or with other sensory challenges?
Whether especially sensitive to lights, smells or sounds, or constantly seeking opportunities to increase sensory information by touching objects, stomping feet or clapping hands, for those affected, a traditional theater experience can be overwhelming.
What makes a performance sensory-friendly?
- Lower sound levels, especially for startling or loud sounds
- Guests are free to talk, leave their seats and move freely during the performance
- House lights in the theater are left on low throughout the performance
- Designated calming areas staffed by volunteer specialists are available
- All are welcome in a judgment-free environment