Abilities First LLC specializes in Occupational Therapy evaluation and the treatment of infants, toddlers, adolescents, and teenagers. Our mission is to assist children of all ages in reaching their full potential so that they can be successful and confident during play, learning, and work times at home and in the community. Our highly qualified Pediatric Occupational Therapists provide individualized treatment from a sensory integrative, play based approach. We provide one-on-one therapy sessions as well as with small group experiences. Our staff is trained in a variety of specialized treatment techniques; see our website for more details.
What are some of the issues that a pediatric Occupational Therapist would work on?
- Managing meltdowns/ improving self -regulation
- Manipulating tools: scissors, fork/spoon, pencils/crayons
- Self care/dressing/grooming (including zipping, buttons, and shoe tying)
- Prewriting: coloring, drawing shapes, draw a person
- Writing skills: printing, cursive, keyboarding
- Visual perceptual: puzzles, matching skills, foundational skills for reading/math/spelling
- Visual motor: eye hand coordination, imitation of movement, building/construction, writing
- Feeding: oral motor skills, self-feeding, helping the ‘picky’ eater
- Motor planning: helping the ‘clumsy’ child who falls a lot, bumps into things, and is awkward in movement
- Sensory registration: helping the child who is hypersensitive (over registers) or hyposensitive (under registers) to sight, smell, sound, taste, movement, touch, or pressure.